Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tired Tuesday

It's another beautiful day outside, and I am just too worn out to enjoy it.

This new job is kicking my ass a little bit right now.

My schedule at the old job was pretty fixed. I generally worked 9-5 three days per week, with a couple of 8 hour midday shifts thrown in occasionally. Now since I am training on all the management duties at the bookstore, I've been getting super early morning shifts (7am to 4pm) (which means I get up at 5am, yikes!) alongside of really late shifts, sometimes ending at 11pm. I am a creature of habit. I don't like it when my sleep schedule gets all disrupted. I hope this is temporary and some kind of semi-predictable schedule becomes the norm.

Add to that that I'm walking around nervous all day. I'm still green enough that I'm not really useful yet. I am still meeting new coworkers, because the staff is over twice as large as at my last job. I don't know what I should be doing half the time, and that's not a comfortable feeling either. Typical new job stuff, I suppose!

I've had a stomachache for several days now, and I think the main reason is my altered sleeping and eating habits. I've been sipping chamomile/spearmint tea to combat some of these symptoms. I have also tried to eat well, having small salads and bowls of soup at reasonable intervals. I am still walking, although I admit to having missed a couple of days! It relieves stress so I know I should try harder with keeping it up. And I am making every attemp to keep my sleep habits as consistent as possible. That has been the biggest challenge!

All in all, though, I think I am going to like the job reasonably well. The people all seem nice and businesslike. It's a quiet, orderly atmosphere, which really appeals to me. And already I truly enjoy helping customers track down books, especially if they have good taste :)  So I think the job is going to be okay once I know the ropes a bit better. It just takes time.

I am trying to notice the  changes outside, since this is my favorite time of year. Even if I am busy and distracted (who isn't?) I can make time to go outdoors for a little while each day. We're really having a mild, early spring this year. I love watching everything bloom in it's time. I don't want to miss any of it!


 




No comments:

Post a Comment