Friday, July 8, 2011

Not funny

I have been thinking lately how much I dislike clever "snarky" comments on the web, especially facebook.

A coworker of mine recently posted pictures (taken in our store!) of a customer that she proceeded to make fun of. His 70's clothes, his comb over, his mullet, his "ginormous" belt buckle...etc etc etc. Then several people jumped in to add their own clever, oh-so-cool comments too. It made me sad, but I made no comment. I have to work with these people, after all. Then, someone I don't even know had the courage to post this reply:

"Did he do anything else to earn your contempt? Did he give you permission to post his image on the web? Did he even know you were taking his pic? And everyone just jumps in making fun like they never left elementary school. Is there some reason, other than your perception of the superficial, that this man doesn't deserve to be treated with dignity?"

I wanted to stand up and cheer.

Of course, all the oh-so-cool and clever people attacked her, telling her to "get over it" or "if you don't like my posts don't read them" etc.

If these were all kids, I would understand. I was once an insecure, superficial high school kid myself. But no, all of these people are my age. Mid thirties. I can only shake my head.

I believe in kindness. Doing unto others. Understanding. Yes, I have a sense of humor. I just don't think a laugh is worth attacking the dignity of another human being. That's just cruel. Not funny at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment