Wednesday, January 16, 2013

And a good time was had by all....

My Sunday afternoon with friends was a success! I had hoped to take pictures, but everyone was running behind and by the time we got started it was almost dark. It was so nice to be able to sit outside this time of year. The crazy warm weather we've been having probably can't last much longer, but it sure is pleasant!

Gus the puppy came over. That boy is growing like mad! He's only 4 months old and already he weighs 50lbs, and his paws are still huge in comparison to the rest of him. He's a total sweetheart, just 50lbs of pure puppy goofiness. Ginger and Gus are going to be good pals; they ran around the backyard and played hard for an hour or so, then Ginger went inside and took a small nap. She's a high energy dog, but no match for a 4 month old! Haha.

While the dogs played, my two guests and I drank margaritas and talked. I served Black Bean Thingies (the recipe came from a knitting superstar/blogger, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee The Yarn Harlot, from her blog back in December) and they were a hit! The idea is to cut soft tortillas into as many 4inch circles as you can (using a pint glass to measure), then put the circles down into greased muffin cups. Then you fill them with a mixture of drained and rinsed canned black beans, corn, Roma tomatoes, green onions, diced green and red peppers, avocado, lots of cheddar cheese, chili powder, salt, and cumin. After filling the cups, you bake them in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. As long as the mixture isn't too wet, these little cups bake up crispy and delicious, and are equally good hot or at room temperature. They're perfect finger food for parties! We also had homemade cheese dip and crackers, and I bought cupcakes from the grocery store for dessert. We all ate too much and drank too much, and laughed a whole lot too! A good time was had by all!

I can't wait to see what we come up with for our February gathering. Our resolution to make more time for friendship this year has gotten off to a great start! I love my wonderful circle of friends!

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to have a good day like that. I can help make up for so many less than stellar ones in the blink of an eye. I really hope that next month's gathering is every bit as terrific for you.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS*

    I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I just adore the tagline of your blog. I'm a perpetual night owl and do the bulk of my post writing at night, so it really resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, and your compliment about my tagline!! That's nice coming from someone with a blog as nice as yours!!!

      Delete
  2. We used to have a 'Friday Night Club' via Skype, where we'd natter, drink, and eat. But having your friends actually with you sounds much better!

    ReplyDelete