Saturday, October 29, 2016

Late October weekend

I've been off work for two days. It's so rare for me to have a Friday and a Saturday off that I've tried hard to enjoy it and also to catch up on some rest.

We've hit the worst part of the retail year at work....the dreadful holiday set. One night, I got off work at 3am....the next, 5:30 am...and had to be back at work the next afternoon to do a regular closing shift after that. On the plus side, we're almost done. 90% of the store is set, and all that remains is one more late night on Monday to finish the music and dvd section. It's such a relief.

Yesterday (my first day off) I took the most wonderful nap. I had gotten up early to do errands: Ginger needed to go to the vet,  I had to go up to the tax office and pay taxes on our truck, I had to stop by the post office, and then groceries had to be bought (our fridge was bare after a week when Gregg and I both had to work long hours). When I finished all that, it was just after lunchtime, so I took to my bed with a book. I dropped off into a deep sleep immediately and didn't wake up for three hours. I felt great when I woke up, too. It was clearly a much-needed nap!

Our house is decorated a little bit for Halloween. I have two jack'o lanterns made of plastic lit up on the front steps, there's a sparkly purple witch hat with LED lights on the living room coffee table (you can see it in my last book club party post) and our mantle has miniature pumpkins and gourds on it. I bought a big bag of candy at the grocery store yesterday in case any trick or treaters show up at the house Monday night. Gregg will have to hand it out because I'll be at work. We never get many kids so I don't buy very much. The few that do show up will probably get handfuls of treats just to get rid of them.

I buy stuff we like, just in case of leftovers.

This afternoon I took the dogs for a walk. Gregg is working late tonight, setting up a really big aquarium for a new client, so it's just the three of us right now (and Marco, of course).


The leaves outside have barely started to change color. It's still warm during the day, but pleasantly cool at night. The dogs love walking through the wooded lot behind the church at the corner. See how happy Ginger looks?  A walk before supper is all my dogs need for a blissful afternoon!

Time for my own small supper, a mixed drink or two, and a movie on Netflix. Have a good weekend, everyone!

17 comments:

  1. Jennifer, your blog is so positive in a time when Norma's and my grown children work long hours to support the lives they love and take pride in. I did that too, for like 40 years --just see if I try that again. But things even out eventually. I did a couple things right then called in old one morning. Now I'm retired into the company of good minds --yours included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comments! And for reading my blog!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have earned the rest Jennifer. Thanks for reminding me about trick or treaters. This "custom" was imported to England from America a few years back. I must dip some brussel sprouts and pickled onions in chocolate to give out to any local children who knock on our door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remind me not to come knocking on your door. Meanie.

      Delete
    2. Hee hee....meanies get their houses TP'd on Halloween in the States!

      Delete
  3. Now that sounds like a very nice two days off.
    Sometimes it is just the simple things that make a nice day.
    Good Luck on the coming Holidays.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spending time at home. I can't imagine ever being bored if I ever retire!

      Delete
  4. We shall have our usual small bunch of kids around on Monday evening. I shall dress up as a scary mad monk. And we'll hand out sweets to all and sundry. I'm not a fan of Halloween, but I do my bit. Roll on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always associate Halloween with autumn (fall) so it feels really strange here in the Oz spring to see houses decorated with pumpkins and cobwebs. Christmas is even more strange in the hot sunshine. Sounds like you really needed that day off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wondered if it seems odd to be in Oz during the holidays. Halloween and Christmas happening in the summer seems....strange!

      Delete
  6. I am glad you enjoyed your day off Jennifer. It was even relaxing for me reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't believe in trick or treating. Never have done. Bah humbug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be a common sentiment among my friends in the U.K. I guess you have to grow up with it to understand what an important part of childhood trick or treating was to some of us. Some of my very best childhood memories are of Halloween costumes and trick or treating.

      Delete
  8. Some people over here are starting to celebrate Thanksgiving. God help us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of the people in my neighborhood go all out with Halloween decorations: lights, skeletons, spider webs, and all sorts of monsters. The ladies across the street from me have the cutest jack-o-lanterns I think I've ever seen.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete