Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Week one, done.

I've been gluten free for exactly a week now. So far, it hasn't been too difficult. I've been eating pretty ordinary things, like meals with rice or potatoes for sides instead of bread. For breakfast I've either had cheese grits (yummy, especially on cold mornings), kefir yogurt smoothies (not my favorite, but I drink them for the probiotics and calcium), or gluten free cold cereals with milk. Lunch is usually dinner leftovers from the night before or fruit, cheeses, and nuts. Last night I tried out some gluten free pasta (made from rice, corn, and quinoa flour) along with some ground beef and tomato sauce. I was slightly weirded out by the thought of noodles made with alternative flour, and so even though they tasted ok, and were pretty tasteless after being smothered in sauce, I didn't really like that meal and probably won't repeat it. I'm not a huge pasta fan to begin with, though.

So aside from being kind of bored, it hasn't been too bad. I was disappointed by a sudden flare of itchiness on my right ankle and foot this afternoon, though. It's only been a week, so I shouldn't expect anything yet, but I so hope to have found an answer to my skin condition!

I had my first and only temptation with gluten this afternoon. There was a mistaken pizza delivery of 6 large pizzas to the school where I work right before I left. None of the after school activity leaders had ordered them, and we didn't know which Pizza Hut they had come from (our town has several) so we couldn't call and tell them of the mistake. Before the last of us left for the day the principal was trying to get us to each take a couple of pizzas home so they wouldn't go to waste. And boy, did they smell good! My stomach was growling, but I stayed strong and refused. Sigh.....The worst part is that all there is for dinner tonight is the leftover weirdo pasta from last night! Lucky me! 

Glorious pizza!

20 comments:

  1. I will be interested to know if foregoing gluten seems to have any affect on your health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not at all. I guess I need to give it more time.

      Delete
  2. I wondered who paid for the pizzas that were delivered by mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had been pre-paid when they were delivered. Everyone in the office assumed they were for the boys basketball team, and thought nothing of it. One of our algebra teachers, while clocking out for the day, said he hoped that the rival middle school across town had paid for them! Hahaha!

      Delete
  3. My BFF went gluten free for her husband, at least ten years ago. She bitched loudly for about three years, until she got into the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm trying not to bitch, since I'm doing it for myself.

      Delete
  4. I love pasta (mostly spaghetti), so being on a non-gluten diet would be pure punishment. I hope you get to notice the difference you desire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first week wasn't so bad, but the second week is proving to be a bit more difficult.

      Delete
  5. Well done, especially on the resisting the pizza! I guess I would have simply rung the nearest of the several pizza huts. Whoever had ordered them was probably there with their stomachs growling much louder :-)
    As you say, it has been only a week, and even after more weeks, there is no guarantee that there could not still be the odd flaring up of your skin condition even if the overall effect is an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time we figured out that one of our school coaches hadn't ordered the pizzas, the mistake was probably already rectified. And I know for a fact that they wouldn't take them back--that would be a safety issue in our crazy society!

      Delete
  6. Well done for resisting the pizza! My daughter suffers from itchy and sensitive skin, in her case changing her clothes washing detergent helped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! It does get easier b/c it just becomes a habit (to avoid food w/gluten). I agree the pasta is usually pretty bad; the best one I've found is Barilla. (I make homemade sauce w/lots and lots of vegetables,and then eat just a bit of pasta.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pizza is hard to pass up and good for you for resisting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pizza temptation and you stood firm. Well done Jennifer.

    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Has someone invented gluten-free pizza? Surely there is such a thing out there. Just wondering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several chains now have a gluten free crust. The night after this blog post we ordered from one of them and I got a small pizza on a GF crust.....and it was awful. The crust (which is usually my favorite part) was like rubber and difficult to chew. I ended up eating the toppings off of it and leaving the nasty base. :(

      Delete
  11. You are very strong to resist the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your wonderful letter came yesterday. I have lost ? your e-mail
    Thank you. I have a note almost ready for you also.

    ** ทางเข้า D2BET**

    ReplyDelete